Post Menu and Details.
- Is Instagram down only for me?
- This is how it looks on a normal day:
- Why Instagram is down?
- Facebook and Instagram down
- Instagram is down, what should I do?
- How to get an Instagram account taken down?
- Instagram down
Reading time: ~3 minutes
Instagram down again. Not for the first time this month. What caused it, DDoS attack? Cheap servers? Let’s explore and fix it. Read to log in successfully. Some users experienced issues with Instagram down the error. It happened several times already this month. What caused it, DDoS attack? Cheap servers? Let’s explore.
Firstly, here are some screenshots with a statistic:
Obviously, Instagram was down today at 9:32 AM. But as I said, it is not the first time for this month. Here is a full list of cases when people reported Instagram down:
Is Instagram down only for me?
Nope, dude, you are not alone. That big social website has its own network of servers across the world. It’s named CDN – content delivery network. When you request something from them, for example, a video of your friends at that birthday party – you get it from the closest to your server.
It’s because the information coming by wires not immediately, so ping and speed directly depend on the distance between you and Instagram server.
Practically, when Instagram is down, usually down only one or a few servers in some area, so people located close to that server are unable to login to Instagram.
This is how it looks on a normal day:
These yellow areas are just overpopulated so traffic volume is the biggest here. But the system can hold it.
Now we will look at the same map, but when Instagram is down:
Why Instagram is down?
Well, there could be many reasons. But the most realistic answer right now – because of Corona-crisis. Too many people sit at home and send photos & videos online at the same time. Servers overheat and can’t normally work at user activity peaks.
Do you know how many photos are uploaded every day to the internet?
I let your chance to guess, so think about it, tell me the number, and scroll down the page to see the answer.
100 MILLION PHOTOS.
Instagram users upload over 100 million photos and videos within 1 day. That is 69444 photos and videos every minute!
Info is a bit outdated, I didn’t find current stats for this COVID-19 times. It could be easily twice more.
So it’s no surprise servers are overloaded and having issues.
Facebook and Instagram down
Unable to log in to Facebook and can’t log in to Instagram at the same time? That is logical because FB bought IG back in 2012 for 1 billion dollars. It’s big money, so I guess poor Zuckerberg can’t afford dedicated servers for both social networks. It seems they share at least some part of infrastructure now and while IG is down it is very possible FB will be down too.
Instagram is down, what should I do?
You just need to wait. Sysadmins will recover servers in minutes or hours. Try to walk in the green zone, clean the house, or finish that project you postponed from 2010.
How to get an Instagram account taken down?
Yes, I imagine, you had a chat with a beautiful Instagram girl and almost agree to meet, but suddenly IG is down!
I can understand your anger and desire to deactivate IG and switch to another social network. Let me guide you through this process.
How to delete the Instagram app on Android
- Select the Settings app from your app drawer or home screen.
- Tap Apps & Notifications, then hit See all apps.
- Scroll down the list until you find the app you want to remove and tap it.
- Select Uninstall.
How to delete the Instagram app on iPhone
- Press and hold the Instagram app icon on the home screen of your iOS device until all the apps begin to wiggle.
- Tap the ‘x’ in the top left corner of the Instagram app.
- Tap “Delete.”
How to delete an Instagram account
We just deleted the Instagram app. But it does not remove your Instagram account from the internet. Your profile and all photos, available to everyone as before.
To deactivate Instagram account permanently:
- Go to the Delete Your Account web page from a mobile browser or PC. In case you’re no longer logged into Instagram, you may be requested to log in first.
- Select an option from the dropdown menu next to Why are you deleting your account? You would be asked to type your password again. Type it and select the reason.
- Click or tap Permanently delete my account.
P.S. You may want to delete yourself from Facebook too.