Post Menu and Details.
- How do I take a screenshot?
- Where can I find that key?
- How do I take a screenshot of a single window?
- How do I take a screenshot of a specific area?
- How do you take a screenshot in windows without a print screen?
- Clipboard. How to use it and paste images in documents or apps?
- Where should I paste it?
- How to make a file from the screenshot I made?
- Can I save the screenshot as a file simpler?
- Summary. List of Window's screenshot shortcuts.
- How to take a screenshot on windows 10?
- How to screenshot on Windows video:
- How to screenshot on windows 8?
- How to screenshot on windows 7?
- But how to take a screenshot on windows 7 without snipping tool?
- How to screenshot on Windows FAQ
Reading time: ~5 minutes
How do I take a screenshot?
To take a screenshot on PC use the provided keyboard shortcuts or the Snipping Tool. Read this guide for step by step instruction on how to screenshot on Windows. Press which is located in the top right corner of the keyboard. Name may vary a bit: “PrtScn”, “Print Screen”, “PrntScrn”, “Prt scr”.
Right after clicking PrtScn Windows OS captures the whole screen and copies it to the clipboard.
Later you can paste it by + to any graphic app (Paint) or directly into messages in FB and some other messengers.
Note: On some laptop right combination is +
Where can I find that key?
That’s easy to find, just look to the top right corner of your keyboard. It’s usually the next button after , typically there are 3 buttons in a line:
How do I take a screenshot of a single window?
Press and hold button, then press . Now you can release button too, the active window is captured and saved to clipboard.
How do I take a screenshot of a specific area?
That means you need to use the Snipping Tool. It is designed by Windows in 2002, but some people still don’t know it exists.
To use it, you need to press and hold + buttons, then press .
You will see all screen become grey and by clicking and moving the mouse you can select the area you want to screenshot.
P.S. usually located in the left bottom corner and look like an image of the window ( Windows logo).
Another way to access Snipping Tool is just by typing its name in windows search.
Click on windows logo in the left bottom corner of the screen ( or just press ) and type “snipping”
How do you take a screenshot in windows without a print screen?
Well, you can use the Snipping tool not only to capture parts of the screen but to do full page screenshots too.
Just press and hold + buttons, then press . You will see some buttons on top of the screen. Choose “Fullscreen Snip“.
Alternatively, you can just select the entire screen with your mouse. A screenshot would be saved in clipboard and u would be able to share it or paste in some apps.
Clipboard. How to use it and paste images in documents or apps?
The clipboard is an “invisible” place where stored things you just copied/created.
You are able to copy information ( text, image, table, any file) from clipboard to the proper app by pressing just 2 buttons – +
If you just made a screenshot, try to paste it to any document ( Microsoft Word) or into the image you are currently editing ( Paint, Photoshop, etc).
Where should I paste it?
If you are not sure which app you should use, just use Paint. It is available in any Windows version.
Similar to snipping tool, click on windows logo in the left bottom corner of the screen ( or just press ) and type “paint”
How to make a file from the screenshot I made?
Instructions on how to make a screenshot and open paint were in previous paragraphs, so I will assume you read them all.
To save the screenshot as the file you need:
- Make screenshot by “PrtScr” button or Snipping Tool
- Open paint
- Edit -> Paste
Can I save the screenshot as a file simpler?
Yes, actually there is a button to save a screenshot directly to the file.
Press and hold , then press button.
The file would be saved directly in C:Users<your user name>PicturesScreenshots
This “Pictures” folder is actually located on the left side of Explorer, so you can access it in 1 click too.
Summary. List of Window’s screenshot shortcuts.
- Save as file – > Press and hold , then press button to screenshot AND save as file immediately in C:Users<your user name>PicturesScreenshots
- Print full screen – > Press to print screen and add it to the clipboard.
- Print single-window – > Press and hold button, then press to print screen and add to clipboard currently active window.
- Print specific area / Use Snipping Tool -> press and hold + buttons, then press .
- Paste screenshot in app from clipboard -> – +
How to take a screenshot on windows 10?
Fast answer: Press and hold , then press
In fact, I have windows 10 myself so all provided keyboard combinations here are tested by me in win10. You can use any of them to screenshot on windows 10.
I especially recommend you to try Snipping Tool in Windows 10, because Microsoft updated it very well. Handy and useful tool right now.
How to screenshot on Windows video:
Now I feel a bit upset about my teaching skills… Ok, here is a 4k video:
Bonus for users who didn’t yet change your OS to the newest one:
How to screenshot on windows 8?
Well, it is absolutely the same as in Windows 10. If you learn how to make screenshots by this guide, you would be perfectly able to take a screenshot on Windows 8 too.
How to screenshot on windows 7?
The snipping tool is available in Windows 7 and it is a perfect tool to take any kind of screenshots.
- Click Start -> All Programs -> Snipping Tool
- Click on the black triangle between “New” and “Cancel” to open this menu:
- Free-form Snip – use a mouse to capture any area you want.
- Rectangle Snip – select some area with a rectangle.
- Window Snip – print screen of a currently active single window.
- Full-screen Snip – use it to print screen the whole screen.
But how to take a screenshot on windows 7 without snipping tool?
- Standard keyboard shortcut: just press button.
- Make a screenshot and save it at the same time: (hold) + buttons
- Take a screenshot of an active window: (hold) + buttons
A careful reader will notice keyboard combinations for Windows 7 are the same as for 8 and 10.
How to screenshot on Windows FAQ
How to screenshot on Mac?
There are 5 ways to capture screenshots on mac:
- ⌘ Command + Shift + 3 hotkey. Quick full-screen capture.
- ⌘ Command + Shift + 4 hotkey. Specific area of the screen capture.
- ⌘ Command + Shift + 5 hotkey. You will see many options you have to choose from.
- Touch Bar control strip customization.
- Installing Third-Party Apps.
It’s hard to fit a detailed guide about the 4th and 5th methods in this small section, so please follow this guide to find details.
How to screen record on Android?
If you are using an Android phone of Samsung, LG, or any other company you can swipe down your quick settings screen, and if your phone supports it, you will notice a screen recorder option there. After selecting it, you have to tap on the start button and wait for the short countdown to begin your recording. If not, then search in google “my_phone_model how to screenshot”. Another option is to use 3rd party apps.
More details in our guide – How To Screen Record On Android.
How to screenshot on Chromebook?
Google does not have its own screen recording extension but there are plenty of other screen recording extensions for you to choose from which are provided by third parties.
- Nimbus screenshot and screen video recorder.
Thank you for reading!