Post Menu and Details.
Reading time: ~4 minutes
Mobile apps have shaped the way many of us live our lives. From grocery shopping to tracking our finances, there is literally an app for almost everything these days, even for losing weight. And you can add home security to that list now, too.
Making your home safer and more secure has never been any easier. With just a few taps on your screen, you can adjust your home lighting, heating, and locking systems, monitor your home even when far away, and receive real-time notifications when any of your home sensors go off.
Getting Specific on Your Needs
The best way to determine which service you’ll benefit from the greatest requires you to get really specific with what you need. Ask yourself the following questions before you start shopping:
What do I want to be protected?
Do you want a nanny cam to keep an eye on your kids or monitors to catch pesky, leaky pipes? Security systems are good for more than just keeping intruders out of your home. There are three main types of security system packages that buyers might want to look into. These are:
- Smart Home Automation
- Security Equipment
- Environmental Monitoring
How do I want the system installed?
Now that security systems are readily available as mobile applications, it has become easier for buyers to install without professional help. However, there may be a couple of pros and cons as with all other things in life.
How big is my home?
The size of your home will determine the number of equipment you will need to keep it sufficiently protected. If you live in a small apartment, you might not need as big of coverage as someone living in a mansion.
What is my family’s routine?
If you live with other people, it only makes sense that you include them in your home security plan. Find out who needs the most access, the most supervision, or the most restrictions.
What is my budget?
You want to stick to what you can afford but also consider quality. You don’t want to spend your hard-earned money on something that delivers little to no benefits.
6 of the Best Smart Security Apps
After you’re done answering the questions we’ve stated above, it’s time for you to start shopping.
We’ve put together this list of 6 smart security apps along with their pros and cons to make your search a little less confusing and time-consuming.
Vivint Smart Home App
For buyers looking for an app that covers the entire home, Vivint may be the perfect choice for you. Customer reviews on their website also praise the easy, user-friendly interface that the Vivint app uses.
- Offers users the ability to communicate with anyone at home — even the dog!
- Doorbell alerts let you see who’s at your front door.
- Works well with several smart devices like Nest, Amazon, and other gadgets, in addition to the Vivint hardware.
- Many users complain about needing to resync their app and equipment when the company issues updates.
- A Vivint Smart Home SkyControl panel and service subscription are required.
ADT Pulse App
The ADT mobile app lets users remotely control smart security and home automation devices, integrate with smart home platforms such as Amazon Alexa, and even take AFT security with you when you’re out of town.
- Users can arm and disarm their systems
- Get alerts if the status of sensors are altered
- Turn on the lights and set the temperature for your arrival home
- Live stream from any of your home security cameras
- Requires users to have an ADT Pulse interactive services subscription
SimpliSafe Home Security App
Named the “Best Home Security overall” by US News & World Report, SimpliSafe offers its users 24/7 protection with the help of their professional staff, who continuously monitor all systems and are ready to dispatch police as soon as something goes wrong.
- Monitored by professionals
- No contracts, monitoring starts at 50 cents a day
- Wireless, no drilling or landline required
- Great rating on TrustPilot
- Easy to set up yourself in no time
- Users report bugs with the app’s doorbell alerts
XFINITY Home App
There’s more to XFINITY than just cable and Internet service. In fact, they also offer a competitive smart security service that you might want to try out if you’re already a subscriber.
- No long-term service contract requires
- Round the clock professional monitoring
- Smart app control
- Customizable features
- Some app services are only available once you’ve bought a certain service package from the company
Protect America SMART Connect App
Control your entire home with just a press of a button. Protect America’s “SMART Connect” app puts remote security, energy management, home automation, and live video in the palm of your hands!
- Free interactive services
- In-app payment methods
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Life safety features with monitored carbon, heat, and smoke detection equipment
- Users consistently complain about the app crashing during use
- Incompatible with some devices
Blue by ADT Security (LifeShielf) App
Blue by ADT, previously called LifeShield, is a new DIY brand that offers smart home security at competitive costs. Blue by ADT focuses on privacy with encrypted networks to protect users’ personal and home data from intruders. The app offers users control over smart cameras, as well as ADT professional monitoring, and 24 hours of free cloud storage for easy home monitoring from anywhere.
- Smart home compatibility
- 30-day return policy
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Limited Blue by ADT equipment
- No smart home add-ons
- Cloud storage costs extra
The Bottom Line
Different users have different needs, so it’s difficult to say which app would be “the best” to use. The most important thing for any buyer to keep in mind is their purpose. Go back to the questions that we’ve listed out earlier and set aside some time to answer them (if you haven’t already).
Once you’ve identified all of the features you want your security plan to include, then you can determine which company you should work with.
Thank you for reading!