Post Menu and Details.
- Best Virtual Data Room Software (And How Much Does It Cost?)
- So how did it become profitable?
- What basic functions does it have?
- How to choose the BEST data room for your needs?
- How most Data Rooms are priced
Reading time: ~4 minutes
Best Virtual Data Room Software (And How Much Does It Cost?)
The sudden surge in the popularity of this type of application as an online data room is not a random event but a predictable factor. It increases the efficiency and convenience of any type of company. From the very beginning, large corporations that had personally developed online data rooms began to take advantage of it. Later, because of the increased convenience, private developers took up the cause and started creating their own applications, selling them on a subscription basis.
Large organizations not related to IT buy this application to optimize resources and partially abandon paperwork. Soon, medium-sized and small businesses alike joined in. Again, this is not surprising as the benefits of virtual data rooms are many times greater than the cost of services.
So how did it become profitable?
Profitability is a rather subjective concept. Starting a virtual data room business will not be profitable for most small companies that do not have a large document flow. For most types of businesses, it will be convenient to use this product only in the most important stages of work:
- Processes for passing various audits. Financial or security audits, all of which require a tremendous amount of paperwork and attention. Attention naturally dulls during the review of thousands of papers and many hours of meetings in the office. Everything makes easier when all parties involved in discovering the functions of data room software. With this, all documentation can be viewed remotely and securely, including verifying the checks for each document.
- The M&A process is one of the most energy-intensive and time-consuming. Why spend even more time on physical documentation checks or waiting for a special team to come and review it all? And what happens if they don’t find a piece of paper? That’s awful and can drag on for weeks. Things take a different turn when both companies use modern technology and electronic data room in particular. This type of application is most often used for the M&A process. It’s a kind of seasonal use by small companies, which don’t need this software for permanent time.
- Post-merger integration. When two companies have already merged into something larger, they need proper resources and workflow automation. Again, online data rooms come into play.
One application differs from another for various purposes, and if you want to use VDRs regularly, you have to start looking for the right product for you on various sites. For example, you can find real reviews on virtualdata-rooms.com for the most appropriate choice.
Every online data room should have basic virtual data room benefits like:
- Increased privacy. It includes various security tools such as assigning roles and tracking changes to different documentation, as well as tracking individual employee activity. This is necessary to minimize the human factor during work with important files. In addition, most online data rooms have backups of documents in their assortment. So any mistake can be corrected at any stage of work.
- Flexible document management. It includes various advanced document searches, convenient optimization, and constant indexing. This is necessary for the short-term processes listed above but also may be used for the ongoing terms.
- Data encryption. This is essential, at least for the reason that your documentation and sensitive data will not fall into the hands of intruders. Almost every data room software has encryption built in but beware of an unknown kind of encryption. Open encryption and ISO certification for this type of application are preferred. Remember that the security of an entire company depends on your choice.
- Easy-to-use and flexible interface for customization. This is crucial for your employees who will be working with the software. This point also includes 24-hour technical support in order to solve problems with incomprehensible moments as quickly as possible. By the way, most electronic data rooms have training programs and on-site instructors in their arsenal. Try it if your employees can’t handle this tool for some reason.
You have to answer a few questions to choose the best data room software for your company and check their consistency with the reviews:
- What type of company do you have, and what is your industry? Awareness of this is necessary in order to accentuate your reviews with similar companies. Some data rooms don’t have options for specific businesses.
- Do you need support for mobile operating systems? It all depends on your overall mood in the group. If overtime is your order of the day, then most likely, VDRs suitable for Android and iOS are preferable.
- What is your budget? You can take advantage of some providers’ free subscriptions if you have a small company with little paperwork. There are a lot of restrictions, but that might work for you.
- Is the trial option available? This is a very important point. Before making the final purchase, you need to be well acquainted with the product you are going to buy.
Most data room providers set the cost of their product according to its functionality. For this reason, it is quite difficult to detect the general price of virtual data rooms. You should be aware of the financial structure of the various plans:
- Per-page system. It is used by VDRs such as Intralinks and Data site. In this case, you may pay a much higher price at the end than originally expected. The cost ranges from $20,000 to $40,000, which is unaffordable for most businesses.
- By the number of users and licenses. Some VDRs charge extra money for new users. Check how many participants a particular VDR license allows. Costs range from $100 to $250 per administrator.
- By storage capacity. Some virtual data room providers offer only a predetermined amount of data storage. Have you exceeded that storage capacity? Pay more. This billing structure is most suitable for small projects. The average cost of data storage is $75 per GB.
- A fixed subscription. You get certain services for a pre-negotiated monthly fee. This is the most predictable option and does not incur additional costs at the end of the month. This is supported by iDeals, WatchDox, Citrix, Firmex, Digify, DealVDR, and the majority of others.
Thank you for reading!